Citibank Demat Account is an efficient way of guarding your shares and other eligible securities, by holding them in an electronic, dematerialized form.
Citibank® Demat Account
Top reasons to open a Citibank Demat Account:
- Hold your securities in dematerialized form.
- Access your account anytime, anywhere, using Citibank’s award winning internet platform.
- Transfers shares from your Citibank Account via Citibank Online
Citibank India branch today.
Linked to your Citibank Account
The Demat Account is linked to your Citibank Savings/Current account. You may assign your linked Citibank account as a credit account to receive automatic credits of dividend. You can use the Bank Account IPIN (for Citibank Online Internet Banking) and TPIN (for CitiPhone banking) to access your Demat Account.
24-hours access to the account on all days
View the Demat Account details at any time on Citibank Online. Get complete details of the account holders, nominee details and the holdings along with the value at a portfolio level as well as at an individual stock level. Also get transaction details for a specific stock or for all transactions in the account for the selected period.
Online Demat Transactions
The Citibank Demat Account also allows you to transact online - using Citibank Online. Transfer the shares to any broker or any other beneficiary Demat Account of your choice*. Check the status of your transactions online and cancel the instructions (if they are still pending execution). There are no additional costs for such transactions.
For additional security, you can also create a beneficiary list of brokers and/or Demat Accounts. Transfer of shares will be permitted only to these accounts if the same is initiated through Citibank Online.
*Currently available only for accounts within NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited).
|Demat Charges for||Domestic Citigold
& Citigold Private Client
|Domestic Non Citigold|
|Annual Maintenance Charges* (Non-BSDA)||Nil||Rs.500|
|Annual Maintenance Charges (BSDA**)||Upto Rs.50,000||Nil||Nil|
|(Based on Value of Holding)||From Rs.50,001 to Rs.2,00,000||Nil||Rs.100|
|Dematerialisation of shares||Rs.50 per request||Rs.50 per request|
|Rematerialisation of shares||Rs.10 for every 100 securities or part thereof or a flat fee of Rs.50 per certificate, whichever is higher.|
|Transfer-in (On-market & Off-market)||Nil||Nil|
|Transfer-out (On-market & Off-market)||0.05% (Min Rs.15)||0.06% (Min Rs.15)|
|Transaction cum Holding Statement||Monthly Free (Annual in case of nil transactions)|
The above mentioned charges are exclusive of applicable statutory levies/taxes including Service Tax.
*Annual charges will be levied at the beginning of the second year and every year thereafter. These charges are waived for Citigold customers.
**BSDA (Basic Services Demat Account) - To know more on BSDA contact your Relationship Manager or you have option to access information on BSDA directly from NSDL website www.nsdl.co.in.
In case the value of the holdings in the BSDA account exceeds the prescribed criteria of Rs.2,00,000 (Rupees Two Lakh only) at any point of time; the regular tariff applicable to non BSDA accounts would be charged from that date onwards.
Click on to expand and on to minimize the details.
The following documents will be required:
- Account opening form completely filled and signed by all the holders.
- Introduction of all the joint holders (Photocopy of the Passport/Voters ID Card/Driving License/PAN Card).
- Address proof for all the joint holders. This could be any of the introduction documents (as above) if the address is the same as required for the account. Alternatively, a Copy of the Telephone Bill/Electricity Bill/Income Tax Returns/Bank Statement can also serve as address proof.
- Income Tax Permanent Account Number (PAN) is mandatory. It needs to be mentioned on the form. If you do not have a PAN, please fill and submit Form 60.
- Signature Card with specimen signatures of all the holders.
- 1 Photograph of all the joint holders with Signatures across the Photo.
- 1 Photograph and Signature of the nominee (if you are opting for the nomination facility).
- Form cum POA for giving transfer instructions using Citibank Online.
You need to open your Demat Account in the same holder combination, as you own the physical shares/securities.
Thus, if you currently own shares in the names of A, B and C - your Demat Account also needs to be opened in the same holder combination. In addition to the above, if you also own shares in the name of A and B only, a separate Demat Account needs to be opened in this holder combination.
Please Note: The sequence of the holders in the account is also very important.
However, if you own shares in the names of B, A and C (in this order), then these shares can be Dematerialised and credited to the account opened in the names of A, B and C (in this order). A transposition form would also need to be submitted along with the Demat request.
Please Note: All Demat Accounts with more than one holder are to be operated jointly by all the holders
i.e., these accounts cannot be operated as 'Either or Survivor' or 'Anyone or Survivor'.
There are three modes by which you can transfer the shares from your account:
- Physical Instruction - Transfer instructions, in the specified format (Annexure L) signed by all the holders of the Demat Account, must be handed over at any Citibank branch.
- Citibank Online* - The Internet banking platform can also be used to give your share transfer instructions.
These modes for transfer may be used only if the other (i.e., transferee) account is with Citibank or with any other Depository Participant with NSDL. If the transferee account is with a Depository Participant affiliated with CDSL, you need to sign and submit an Inter Depository Transfer Instruction.
*These services can be availed only if you have signed the 'Share Transfer Form cum POA'.
You can avail the following additional services for your Demat Account:
- Pledging shares in your account to avail an overdraft.
- Freezing the account/any specific security/specific quantity of a security.
- Nomination facility.
In case of:
- Dividend - for shares held in the Demat Account, the amount will be credited to your linked Bank Account.
- Bonus - the bonus shares will automatically be credited to your Demat Account.
- Rights - the allotted shares will be credited to your Demat Account or sent to you as physical certificates depending on the instructions you mention in the Rights application form.
Dematerialisation is the process by which your holding of physical share certificates is converted into an electronic record. The shares then reflect as a credit balance in your Demat Account. Dematerialised shares do not have any folio number, certificate number or distinctive numbers i.e., they are fungible.
To Dematerialise your shares, you need to submit the physical share certificates along with a Dematerialisation Form (DRF) to your Depository Participant. They will send the share certificates to the R & T Agent of your company, who will check and confirm if everything is in order. On confirmation, the shares will be credited to your Demat Account.
The electronic form is more popularly called the 'Dematerialised' form. The foremost and most important reason to convert it is because it is now mandatory to deliver the shares (for most script's as specified by SEBI) in Dematerialised form only, if you are selling the shares. Thus, if you hold physical shares, you may not be able to sell them. Additionally, there are several advantages of holding shares in the Dematerialised form:
- Elimination of risks associated with physical certificates e.g. theft, loss in transit, mutilation, fire, etc.
- Reduction in handling huge volumes of paper.
- Elimination of problems related to change of address, transmission, etc.
- Faster settlement cycle. You therefore get your money/shares much faster.
- Periodic statements and hence ease of portfolio monitoring.
- Lower costs due to lower brokerage rates charged by brokers and no stamp duty.
- There is no minimum lot in case of Dematerialised shares. You can therefore buy/sell even 1 share.
- There is greater transparency in the whole process.
- Continue holding them as free shares in your Demat Account.
- Transfer the shares to any other person who has a Demat Account.
- Sell these shares.
- Pledge them to avail a loan/overdraft.
Yes, you will need the services of a broker who will help you execute your buy/sell transaction on the exchange.
You need to inform him that you want the shares credited to your Demat Account. You will need to provide him with your Demat Account details.
It is very simple. All you need to do is fill and sign the transfer instructions (Annexure L), which is akin to a Bank Account cheque book - and hand it over to your Depository Participant. Your broker should be able to help you with the type of instruction ('On-market' or 'Off-market' instruction) and the relevant details required for such an instruction. In all probability, you will need to do an 'On-market Transfer' to your broker by entering the following details:
- CM BP ID - Clearing Member Business Partner ID of your broker.
- Settlement Number - the settlement number in which your shares were sold on the exchange.
- Market Type - the market type in which your shares were sold on the exchange.
All these details will be provided to you by your broker.
Please remember there are strict deadlines within which the shares must be transferred.
In India, we currently follow the T+2 rolling settlement cycle. Simply stated, the broker through whom you have sold your shares needs to deliver the same to the exchange on the 2nd business day after the day of trade. Hence, you need to deliver the shares to your broker latest by day T+1 i.e., the next business day.
E.g. if you have sold your shares on Monday (Day T), you need to transfer the shares to your broker latest by Tuesday (Day T+1) to enable the broker to deliver the shares to the exchange on Wednesday (Day T+2). (Please also see the time limits for instructions on Citibank Online).
Annexure L is a transfer instruction form, which needs to be signed by all the joint holders of the Demat Account, and submitted to the Citibank branch. The Annexure L is akin to the cheque book for your Bank Account.
A personalized Annexure L booklet is sent to you along with your welcome kit at the time of account opening. For additional booklets, you need to send a request signed by all the holders of the account.
All instructions that you give on the net have to be authorized by you using your IPIN. This password should be known only to you. For further security, on successful addition of payee, alert will be sent through SMS via mobile (registered) and email (registered). Only 3 payees in the last 24-hours can be added across all transactions and across all linked accounts. There will be a limit of Rs.30,000 for the first 24 working hours (excluding certain restricted days) for the payee added. Post 24 (for holidays and restricted days, it will be higher) hours of addition of payee, customer will be able to transact according to the existing Citibank Online transaction limits.
Moreover, for instructions given by you and which are still pending execution, you also have the option of cancelling the same.
The details required depend on the type of transaction you are doing -
On-market Transfer - The following details need to be provided:
- CM BP ID i.e., the Clearing Member Business Partner ID of the broker.
- Market Type.
- Settlement Number.
Your broker can help and provide you with all these details.
Off-market Transfer - The following details need to be provided:
- DP ID i.e., the Depository Participant ID where the target Demat Account has been opened.
- Client ID i.e., the target Demat Account number.
For-market transfers (Monday - Friday)
Instructions from clients shall be accepted upto 4 p.m. on T+1 for transfer of securities. For example, for trades executed on Monday, clients will have to submit instructions to the Bank upto 4 p.m. on Tuesday. The same timelines would be applicable for instructions submitted via Citibank Online.
Off-market transfers (Monday - Friday)
Instructions from clients shall be accepted upto 4 p.m. for same-day transaction execution.
On Saturdays, for both for-market and off-market
transfers, instructions from clients shall be accepted
upto 2 pm.
If you are an existing Demat customer, please login to Citibank Online to view your portfolio.
If you are new to Citibank, a Savings Account would be required for setting up a Demat.
Choose your type of account:
To view or download a copy of the "Rights and Obligations of the Beneficial Owner and Depository Participant",
Prevent Unauthorized Transactions in your demat account - Update your Mobile Number with your Depository Participant and receive alerts on your Registered Mobile for all debit and other important transactions in your demat account directly from NSDL on the same day.
Please note that you do not need to issue cheque/s while subscribing to an Initial Public Offering (IPO). Writing your bank account number and signing on the application form to authorize your Bank to make the payment in case of allotment of shares will suffice. The funds allocated for the IPO remain in your Bank account, hence, you do not need to worry about a refund.
This webpage is intended only for Citibank customers. Any and all facilities/services/offers mentioned on this webpage are subject to specific Citibank N.A. Terms and conditions. You are advised to contact Citibank N.A. to obtain and understand the applicable Terms and conditions and/or any questions you may have with regard to any information contained on this webpage. Citibank N.A. does not guarantee the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of any information on this webpage and is not responsible for any errors or omissions or for results obtained from the use of such information as contained on this webpage. Citibank N.A., Citigroup and/or any of their affiliates/associates have no liability whatsoever to any person on account of the use of information provided herein and the said information is provided on a best-effort basis. Citibank has the right to modify or drop facilities/services/offers mentioned on this webpage at any time without assigning any reason whatsoever.